The Matador is the award-winning newspaper of San Gabriel High School (SGHS). Our mission is give voice to the voiceless, bring truth to the people, and hold institutions accountable for their practices.
The Matador is published monthly by the journalism class of SGHS. The newspaper began with our first published issue on Sept. 1955 and the news website launched in 2015.
We are a public forum for student expression and highly encourage responses in reaction to the issues discussed in the paper. The opinions expressed are those of the writers, not the faculty or administration. Articles without bylines are the opinion of the staff.
Submit comments as a letter to the editor, signed (anonymity may be granted if requested) to room H2 or Ms. Kim’s mailbox). The correction box under the “About” page is also a way to contact us. We appreciate news tips as well.
- Pacemaker finalist for online news in 2019, presented by the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA)
- First place, Super Sweepstakes, Eastern Los Angeles Journalism Education Association (ELAJEA), 2017
- First place, News Sweepstakes, ELAJEA, 2014 and 2016
- Courage in Student Journalism Award, 2015, presented by the American Society of News Editors (ASNE), Kent State University, and the NSPA
- First Amendment Challenge Award 2015, presented by ASNE
- All American rating for Online news, 2015, presented by the NSPA
- Second place, Best in Show for print, NSPA/JEA nationals
And numerous individual awards at regionals, state, and nationals.