In recent years, there has been craze for the trending avocado toast seen on Instagram feeds. It is no surprise that toast has gained a lot of traction not only on social media, but also in people’s stomachs. Toast is incredibly versatile and can be topped with almost anything. It is filling, healthy, quick to prepare, and simple, as well as easily changed to fit one’s needs and preferences.
Basic Avocado Toast Recipe:
- A thick slice of toasted bread of your choice (whole-grain, sourdough, French)
- 1 ripe avocado
In a bowl, mash the avocado. Sprinkle in salt to your liking and mix. Spread onto your toast.
This is the basic version of avocado toast. However, if you want to spice it up and upgrade your toast, you can add the following items:
- Different spices (garlic powder, onion powder) to your avocado
- Lemon juice for a little acidity
- A drizzle of olive oil
- A sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
- Tomato and mozzarella slices
- Fresh herbs (basil)
- Egg (fried, over-easy, poached)
- Cherry or sun-dried tomatoes
The easiest way to improve your toast is to use high quality bread as your foundation for all of your toppings. When it comes to avocado toast, the possibilities are truly endless.